[Scilab-users] Scilab 6 // Redefinement of permanent variable does not raise an error!?

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Mon May 8 13:12:16 CEST 2017

Hello Dirk,

Le 08/05/2017 à 10:16, Dirk Reusch a écrit :
> Hi Samuel,
>
> Yes, you are right ... I was looking for a message like "error: ....",
> so may be the formatting of the message could be improved?
>
> Anyway, there is another glitch:
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Startup execution:
>
> --> a=123;predef("all");a=456
>
> Redefining permanent variable.
>
> --> [msg,err]=lasterror()
>   err  =
>
>     999.
>
>   msg  =
>
>   Redefining permanent variable.

> It seems, that the error number is now 999 and it has
> been or should be 13 (cf. help error_table)?.

As indicated in the Scilab 6.0.0 CHANGES file (section /Feature changes
and additions/), error numbers are deprecated. I guess that the table of
error numbers is still distributed just for the record, because Scilab
and external codes have not been changed to yield proper error messages
instead of obscure numbers. The deprecation has not been performed in a
clean way. In the same way, lasterror() should no longer propose
returning an err output. etc.