[Scilab-users] Avoiding a loop

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Thu May 11 18:48:38 CEST 2017

Depending on how often you switch between battery and generator, and
how icky-picky you're willing to be, there may be a way to reduce
computation.

It looks like the term P(n,2) * (P(n+1,1) - P(n,1)) is always there,
and you're either adding it to 'gen' (is it energy production?) or
subtracting it from 'batt'.

If you really want to go there, you can vectorize "if" statements by
using boolean expressions on vectors and the "find" function, which
returns indexes of true results.  Then you can use "cumsum" on your
P(n,2) * (P(n+1,1) - P(n,1)) term to find where the battery state of
charge (I assume that's what 'batt' is) hits 800.

It'll be complicated.  It'll be prone to error.  Proving that it's
correct will be a pain.  But when you get it working, it'll be
considerably faster.