[Scilab-users] slash (/) help page confusing ?

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Thu Aug 30 10:22:39 CEST 2018

Le 30/08/2018 à 10:03, philippe a écrit :
> Le 30/08/2018 à 09:42, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
>> Le 30/08/2018 à 09:32, philippe a écrit :
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> but in the help page it is written that "X=A/B is the solution of X*B=A"
>>
>> For square A, B, invertible B, "A/B" means "A*inv(B)", hence
>> B*(A/B)=B*A*inv(B) cannot be equal to A (matrix product is not commutative)
> I know this but for non-square matrices scilab use the opposite
> convention,
OK. To me, the / operator does not correctly check the compatibility of
respective dimensions of A and B. The statements:

A=1;
B=[1 2 3];
X=A/B

should raise an error because A and B must have the same number of
columns if the equality X*B=A has to make sense.

With the following statements

A=1;
B=[1 2 3]';
X=A/B