[Scilab-users] Unable to update ATOMS packages - Scilab 6.0.1

Pndsc chrisp at poundsc.org
Wed Oct 10 23:37:08 CEST 2018

So to update my own inquiry - as far as I can make out theres no solution to
this problem. Or at least, I havent been able to fix it.

I'm not the only person with this problem - theres an  Ubuntu stackexchange
thread with a suggested fix here
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029163/how-to-get-scilab-6-0-1-working-on-ubuntu-18-04-lts/1029164>
by N0rbert which might prove useful for other people with issues of simply
getting Scilab to work, but does not solve my issue of ATOMS not updating or
displaying an up to date package list.

The HDF5 thing is a known issue and is on the bugtracker here thanks to
N0rbert:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/scilab/+bug/1765503

I have to admit I have a hard time with believing that this issue has been
allowed to persist for so long with the current most widespread linux
distribution out there.

Running an atomsInstall command doesnt work either:

--> atomsInstall("coselica")
Scanning repository http://atoms.scilab.org/6.0 ... Done

at line   265 of function atomsDESCRIPTIONget (
/usr/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_internals/atomsDESCRIPTIONget.sci
line 284 )
at line    31 of function atomsIsPackage      (
/usr/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_internals/atomsIsPackage.sci
line 47 )
at line    69 of function atomsInstallList    (
/usr/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_internals/atomsInstallList.sci
line 108 )
at line   233 of function atomsInstall        (
/usr/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atomsInstall.sci line 249 )

atomsDESCRIPTIONget: save
('/home/chris/.Scilab/scilab-6.0.1/.atoms/packages') has failed.

I dont know if its significant or not, but in
/usr/share/scilab/modules/atoms/etc/ , in the "repositories" text file, the
url for the atoms repository for 6.0 (https://atoms.scilab.org/6.0/) returns
a 443 forbidden error.

Its late here but the next thing on my list to do tomorrow is to download
the package zips manually and installing via atomsInstall('pathtozip').