[Scilab-users] Having a Problem with fsolve

rsherry8 rsherry8 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 16 02:52:49 CEST 2018

Thank you for your response. I am trying to  solve the following system
of equations:
     x^2 + y^2 = 0
     x^4 + y^4 - 10 = 0

I defined the following function in SciLab:
         function y=f3(x,y)
             y = [x^2+y^2,x^4+y^4-10]
         endfunction

That appeared to work. I found that f3(1,1) is:    2.  -8.
So I then ran the following:
     fsolve([0,0], f3 )
and I got:
     fsolve: exception caught in 'fct' subroutine.
     at line     2 of function f3
     in builtin                fsolve

     Undefined variable: y

I then defined the function fct as follows:
     function y=fct(x,y)
         y = [2*x+2*y, 4*x^3+4*y^3]
     endfunction

I then ran the command:
     fsolve([0,0], f3, fct )
and that produced the following message:
     fsolve: exception caught in 'jac' subroutine.
     at line     2 of function f3
     in builtin                fsolve

     Undefined variable: y

Any additional comments?