[Scilab-users] Unable to update ATOMS packages - Scilab 6.0.1

Pndsc chrisp at poundsc.org
Wed Oct 17 22:11:42 CEST 2018

amonmayr wrote
> Can you give me the details of the error log in the console for this
> version?
>

> Could it be a problem with the video drivers and mesa?
> I had this issue at some point.
> Could you try to use:
>
> export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0 ; /path/to/scilab-nightly/bin/scilab
>
> instead of
>
>   /path/to/scilab-nightly/bin/scilab
>
> ?
>
> It solved my problems for a while.
> No with some later updates, I no longer have this driver issue¹.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Antoine
> ¹ By the way, matlab suffer exactly the same problem on my machine, and
> I used the very same fix.

chris at eniac:~/Downloads$ scilab

javax.media.opengl.GLException: X11GLXDrawableFactory - Could not initialize
shared resources for :0
        at
jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXDrawableFactory$SharedResourceImplementation.createSharedResource(X11GLXDrawableFactory.java:317)
        at
jogamp.opengl.SharedResourceRunner.run(SharedResourceRunner.java:295)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrent(GLContextImpl.java:625)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrent(GLContextImpl.java:539)
        at
jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXDrawableFactory$SharedResourceImplementation.createSharedResource(X11GLXDrawableFactory.java:293)
        ... 2 more
Could not create a Scilab main class. Error:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: XXX0 profile[1]: GL3bc
-> profileImpl GL4bc !!! not mapped
        at
javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.computeProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2021)
        at
javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDeviceCritical(GLProfile.java:1889)
        at
javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDevice(GLProfile.java:1838)
        at
javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDefaultDevices(GLProfile.java:1807)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.access$000(GLProfile.java:77)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLProfile$1.run(GLProfile.java:201)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.initSingleton(GLProfile.java:187)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.getProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2246)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.get(GLProfile.java:959)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.getDefault(GLProfile.java:693)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.getDefault(GLProfile.java:704)
        at org.scilab.modules.gui.SwingView.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.scilab.modules.gui.SwingView.registerSwingView(Unknown
Source)
        at org.scilab.modules.core.Scilab.<init>(Unknown Source)

Scilab cannot create Scilab Java Main-Class (we have not been able to find
the main Scilab class. Check if the Scilab and thirdparty packages are
available).

I checked my MESA info with glxinfo:

chris at eniac:~/scilab-branch/bin$ glxinfo|grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-36-generic, LLVM
6.0.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Using the command with MESA_GL override = 3.0 :

chris at eniac:~/scilab-branch/bin$ export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0 ;
~/scilab-branch/bin/scilab
scilab-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.3: cannot

So back where I was yesterday.

I checked your suggestion of the graphics issue and installed the
proprietary AMD driver for my graphics chipset ( an R7 240 , getting
slightly long in the tooth) and received the following error:

amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.50.0 but this driver is only
compatible with 3.x.x.

So maybe I need to get a new graphics card.

I'm going to check if its better on a reboot but wanted to c&p all my
console responses here first before I did so.