[Scilab-users] A plane intersecting a surface

Carrico, Paul paul.carrico at esterline.com
Thu Sep 6 21:50:52 CEST 2018

Dear All
I've not been using scilab for a while, but I've a good opportunity to dive into it once again ;-)
Is there a tool implemented into Scilab to determine the cross section of a 3D (experimental) surface and a plane?
Note that :

-          the curve has not a Cartesian equation and it is composed of a point cloud coming for experimental measurement,

-          ideally the tool looks for the closest out of plane points in order to perform interpolations
Before reinventing the wheel, I'm wondering if something exists.
Nb: I built a saddle surface, but of course only points (not necessary equally spaced) exist in the real life.
Thanks for any advice and suggestion
Paul
function [z]=saddle(x, y)
    z = x^2 - y^2
endfunction

// surface making ... of course in the real life the surface comes from exprimental data (no cartesian equation is attached on))
n = 50;
x = linspace(-2,2,n)';
y = linspace(-1,3,n)';
z = feval(x,y,saddle);
plot3d(x,y,z);

// plane equation: ax + by + cz + d = 0

EXPORT CONTROL :
Cet email ne contient pas de données techniques
This email does not contain technical data