[Scilab-users] Problem with clip_state

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Sat Apr 6 19:39:42 CEST 2019

Hello Federico,

Le 06/04/2019 à 00:27, Federico Miyara a écrit :

> Dear All,
>
> I have the following problem with the graphic axes property
> clip_state. I don't know if comes from an inaccurate description in
> the documentation or something I'm not understanding quite well...
>
> 1) I create new axes by plotting some data set. As expected, axes'
> size matches the plot data range.
>
> 2) I run
>
> gca().clip_state = "off"
>
> Acording to the documentation
> (https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.2/en_US/axes_properties.html), from
> now on all newly created objects should not clip, meaning that even if
> the object (such as a polyline) exceeds the original data range, it
> will be displayed in full.
>
> 3) I plot another data set that exceeds the original axes limits.
> Contrary to the expected behavior, it does clip.
>
> 4) I run
>
> gca().clip_state
>
> and I see it has reverted to "clipgrf". This explains the observed
> clipping, but it is not clear why the setting from 2) has changed.
>
> 5) I run again
>
> gca().clip_state = "off"
>
> Nothing happens (it makes sense, since the clip_state should affect
> new objects, not previous ones)
>
> 6) I run
>
> gce().children.clip_state = "off"
>
> Only now the clipping is gone and the second plot shows in full.
>
> Why the original clip_state setting is overridden?
>
> If it is the normal or expected behavior (in which case the
> documentation isn't accurate), then what is it meant for, given that
> the final impact is that of each individual entity's setting?

Confirmed.

This behavior occurs for ages: It was already the case with Scilab 4.0.
It occurs even with gca().auto_scale = "off".
It comes from plot2d(), that resets the value to "clipgrf".
It's not the case with xstring() or xpoly(), or i guess with other "low
level" graphic functions like xarcs() etc.

I don't know if such a reset is intentional, and if so, why.
Anyway, it is not (yet) reported as a bug on Bugzilla.

Regards
Samuel