[Scilab-users] An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Wed Apr 10 23:05:37 CEST 2019

Heinz,

The first thing I would consider is if really it is relavant to plot 155
000 data points, taking into account that neither the screen nor any
printing system can present such a resolution.

If you have 155 000 points they aremost likelycontaminated with noise.
You could approximate them with a lsq_splin using few break points,
probably around 20, and then use this spline to obtain about 1000 points
or less.

If you need, instead, to show in your plot the noise you can do this:
divide the domain of the function in a number of bins of a width more or
less equivalent to the pixel or printed dot (there will be in general no
more than about 1000 bins), then find the min and max within each bin
and retain them, then plot again.

Finally, you can export using svg and as was suggested some time ago
(sorry I don't recall by whom), open it in Inkscape, a free open source
software (there is also a portable version, so no need to install it).
Then export it as wmf (Windows metafile). Then you can paste in word
processors and you retain the full quality, the fonts are fonts, not
just a bundle of random pixels. It tried this and works very well.

You can also edit the image within the word processor, if a final touch
up is convenient (change font tyope or size, line color, etc.).

Regards,

Federico Miyara

On 10/04/2019 15:07, Heinz Nabielek wrote:
> Scilab created graphs can be quickly imported into documents via the Clipboard, but their quality is poor with jagged lines and wobbly fonts.
>
> High quality graphs can be created when exporting to pdf. However, with my 155,000 data points, I end up with an error message:
>
> "An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error".
>
> Any easy way to get around short of returning to the Clipboard?
> Heinz

---