[Scilab-users] question on graphic children order

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Wed Apr 10 23:40:53 CEST 2019

Samuel,

I would like to contribute somehow, but for the moment I don't know
anything about Java and very little about C or C++. I could test code if
it is in a version ready to install (I don't know how to compile) and if
there is some protocol or guidelines to how to perform tests.

I find more likely for me to contribute Scilab functions written using
the available functions and operators, or try to improve help pages.

Regards,

Federico

On 10/04/2019 13:28, Samuel Gougeon wrote:
> Le 10/04/2019 à 18:05, Federico Miyara a écrit :
>>
>> Stéphane,
>>
>> Thank you for your insight.
>>
>> I think I've found a possible explanation fromthe user's point of
>> properties need to be modified on the fly, it is easier to use a
>> single instruction that affects the newly added entity instead of
>> having to keep track of the index or the handle of each specific
>> entity. I suppose it is more frequent to modify the most recently
>> added object than a deeply buried one.
>
> I don't think it is the reason (if there is any true reason). It is
> equally easy to get the handle with
> A...children($)
> A...children(1)
> gce()
>
> Thanks for your persistent will to know why, for things that are
> actually not the most handy, even if after years we are compelled to
> do with them.
> To have fresh observers and comenters is often interesting. To have
> new contributors as well.
>
> After the first interesting Stéphane's attempt, i am also afraid that
> changing the order now would break a lot of code.
> However, IMO it would be worthwhile to try, and see how many tests
> this change breaks.
> Many graphical tests are interactive, that requires more manpower
> (because these tests have no "automatic" validation/invalidation. A
> human must see how graphics are rendered and say "the test passes, or
> fails")
> But this is easy to do, and subscribers to this list could contribute.
>
> Samuel

---