[Scilab-users] rand("seed",s)

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Tue Apr 30 08:35:29 CEST 2019

Le 29/04/2019 à 19:03, Jens Simon Strom a écrit :

> Hallo Scilab équipe,
>
> In my application it is vital   -  in addition to the normal focus
> when using seeds -  that /different/ seeds in rand("seed",seed)
> produce /different/ random number series. (1) Is that the case?

Yes. However with "rand" you have a periodicit of 2^31 (this is
explained in the help page).

Please use "grand" instead of "rand", as grand produces sequences with
better properties, moreover you have the choice of the basic generator.
The default one "Mersenne-Twister" has period 2^199937. See the help
page of grand for more details.

S.

> I am aware that  seed has to be a non negative integer. (2) Are there
> any further restrictions?  (3) What is the upper bound?
>
> The minimal example below is as expected.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Jens
>
> s1=1e3;
> s2=1e10;