[Scilab-users] ?= GUI hel

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Tue Dec 3 11:36:59 CET 2019

> Le 29/11/2019 à 21:53, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
>> Le 29/11/2019 à 21:21, Claus Futtrup a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Stéphane
>>>
>>> Lazy = not pretty.
>>
>> Matlab users do not have this possibility, and as a result, programs
>> do not suffer from eventual border effects.
>
> So why do they use "clear" at the beginning of every script? This is
> like a Matlab signature.
> In Scilab, i never use clear (all), and it works.
Neither do I. But I see the same behavior in Scilab programs of users
around me and very often in Scilab programs posted by users in the ML,
and precisely due to the potential border effect of lazy global
variables. The sydrom is:

"I don't understand why my program worked before I quit and relaunched
Scilab ?"

Concerning this habit of Matlab users, I have a different theory : until
recently, it was tedious to use functions in order to give a decent
structure to Matlab programs because each function had to reside in one
single .m file. Then may users took the habit to write very long scripts
hence with variables living in the main workspace. Then a "clear" at the
begining of this kind of script was at least prophylatic, not to say a
must !