[Scilab-users] Confusion about types (typeof vs. Variabe Browser)

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Fri Dec 6 08:41:18 CET 2019

> Le 04/12/2019 à 13:30, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The name "constant" has been kept to ensure backwards compatibililty.
>> But frankly, sometimes legacy really sucks !
>>
>> To me, "constant" should be replaced everywhere by "double" to
>> suppress this confusion. The argument that it would break some
>> toolboxes does not hold : we already will have to recompile almost
>> all binary gateways for the next release of Scilab. I don't
>> understand why toolboxes authors would not be able to release a new
>> version by just doing an easy find/replace in their codes.
>>

> Stéphane,
>
> All ATOMS toolboxes are all together a very tiny part of all existing
> codes.

Yes. But what is the ratio of "alive" codes ? When I see the
infinitesimal traffic on the ML, I have the feeling that this ratio is
close to zero (but not zero, right ?). The small number of *active*
users (hence having "active" codes) do not have problems to adapt to
(necessary) changes. In the past we had such (yeah, painfull) issues
(empty matrix stuff, among others).

We are no going to prevent improvements because there are some codes,
somewhere, with no maintainer, that could eventually fail after the
improvement. Codes with no maintainers are (most of the time) dead codes.

Please think about the future of Scilab, not always its past.