[Scilab-users] 3 byte integers

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Wed Dec 18 05:37:26 CET 2019

Stéphane,

Sorry for having explained myself so poorly. The problem with the macros
already available is that in order to save a wavfile in a single
operation, I need to have the whole signal loaded in a variable. I'm not
sure whether it is possible to handle a variable with about 2
gigasamples (the maximum 16 bit mono file that Windows allows --a total
file size of 4 GB--). This would demand 16 GB just for a single variable.

I'm pretty sure that problems would arise even with an audio variable
much smaller than that.

This is the reason why I need to be able to append new audio data to an
existing wave file, so that much less information is handled at a time.
Of course this requires to edit the header to update the file size after
the append, but this is quite easy.

The tough part is to save three byte numbers, since the existing mput
command supports 1, 2, 4 and 8 byte formats, but not the 3 byte used for
24 bit audio. If there were a native macro or primitive capable of
formatting numbers as 3 byte, it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Federico Miyara