[Scilab-users] need a little help

shorne at energetiq.com shorne at energetiq.com
Fri Feb 15 22:36:26 CET 2019

A simpler way --

outarr=zeros(1000)
for i=1:1000
[m,k]=min(abs(B-A(i));
outarr(i)=k;
end;
This will produce a list in outarr such that outarr(n) is the index of the
element in B closest to the n'th element in A .

If you want to go faster, consider setting up  a binary tree containing B.
Then use the tree to search for nearest neighbor to A(i) and to -A(i).
Then decide which neighbor is closer.  (I think this works).
Searching the tree goes as log of length of B at the expense of a linear
time in setting it up.
For some length of B this will win.