[Scilab-users] Coexistence of different versions

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Wed Feb 20 12:56:16 CET 2019

Hello Federico,

Le 20/02/2019 à 03:46, Federico Miyara a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I'm currently using Scilab 6.0.1 on Windows 7 with several projects in
> progress that I don't want to put at risk. But I'm anxious to give
> 6.0.2 a try. Is it safe to install it in other folder? I mean, can
> both versions coexist or it is necessary to uninstall 6.0.1 to prevent
> trouble?

Yes, as written by Eric, you can install as many versions as you want,
official ones and development ones as well (to give them a try and
contribute to prevent bugs before official releases) without any issues.
This is a strong -- too little known -- asset of Scilab.

For all official releases, by default there is one specific SCIHOME
directory per version. This means that each version has its own
configuration and preferences files (for the desktop, scinotes, general,
etc), history of commands file, etc, stored in the related SCIHOME
directory.
You can simultaneously run different versions as well. But then you have
the history of commands for each version, not mixed. You have to copy
your scilab.ini or .scilab user init file in each SCIHOME directory ; etc.

It is possible to share the same SCIHOME directory, but it might then
cause some troubles.

  * Launching scilab with the -scihome option is possible since Scilab
    6.0.1, to set SCIHOME by hand.

  * Different development versions
    <https://build.scilab.org/view/Scilab%20binaries/> of a given branch
    (current, master,..) always share (by default) the same SCIHOME
    directory. But this can be worked around by using the -scihome
    option. Do not hesitate to use development versions. They are often
    better (or even much better) than official releases. It takes 3 to 5
    mn to instal a version (and set its launching shortcuts with
    -scihome if required, and its preferences). So it is worth to do it.
    And if for 20% of dev versions temporarily it does not work better,
    then you have lost only 5 mn... Not so much ;-)

For "old versions", some incompatibilities may appear. For instance, i
can run all scilab versions from 5.3.3 to 6.0.2 without any issue. But
when i run 5.0.0 <= versions <= 5.3.0, making graphics always crash the
session (while it worked well before). It could be due to some Java
runtime library incompatibilities, not necessarily due to recently
Scilab installations, but possibly to automatic Java updates. This is
unclear. When i run Scilab 4.1.2, graphics are OK and stable.

HTH
Regards
Samuel