[Scilab-users] Efficiency of drive usage

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Mon Feb 25 19:30:21 CET 2019

Dear all,

I've observed that the function wavread, which needs to retrieve some
specific header data apart from the real audio data, uses an mget call
for each of them. For instance, it is necessary to detect several string
ID's each one followed by 4 byte integers.

I wonder if this is an efficient way to use the drive. I mean, each mget
requires reading the disk content which means mechanically positioning
the read-write head and picking the information.

However, it is known that on each read the head retrieves typically a
4096 byte sector and the operating system may read at once several
sectors into a cluster.

Do operating systems or Scilab, at a low level, ensure that if one
performs several mget calls to retrieve closely packed data, the
information will be retrieved from some buffer secured during the first
physical read, instead of reading again the disk?

Thank you.

Regards,

Federico Miyara

---