[Scilab-users] A possible bug with format(width)

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Thu Jun 6 08:26:50 CEST 2019

This behavior (swith to "e") is logical. For example, with
format("v",10), which is the default, 123456789 cannot be displayed in
"v" mode with 10 characters. Hence, the only solution is to switch to
"e" mode:

--> format("v",10)

--> 123456789
  ans  =

    1.235D+08

Of course, you cannot use less than 7 characters (3 chars for the signed
mantissa and the dot and 4 chars for the exponent):

--> format("v",8)

--> 123456789
  ans  =

    1.2D+08

--> format("v",7)

--> 123456789
  ans  =

    1.D+08

--> format("v",6)

--> 123456789
  ans  =

    1.D+08

Le 05/06/2019 à 23:46, stephane.mottelet at utc.fr a écrit :
> Scilab 6.0.1 does it as follows:
>  --> format(4); u=123.456
>   u  =
>     1.0  D+02
> The display of Scilab 5.5.2 does not respect the format length
> either,  because " 123." has length 5 (blank sign +123 + dot)
> S.
>

> Quoting Samuel Gougeon <sgougeon at free.fr <mailto:sgougeon at free.fr>>:
>
>> Le 05/06/2019 à 21:57, stephane.mottelet at utc.fr a écrit :
>>>
> As MacOSX, Linux is not affected, this will help to solve this bug:
>
> Scilab 6.0.2 (Feb 14 2019, 10:11:47)
>
> --> *OS_Version*
>
> ans=
>
> Linux 4.15.0-48-generic
>
> --> *format(4); u=123.456*
>
> u=
>
> 1.D+02
>
> Are you in "v" format? This result looks like to be in "e" one, and
> anyway it does not comply with the required width.
> On win7 with 5.5.2 we get in "v" format:
> -->format(4); u=123.456
>  u  =
>    123.
> => it does not switch to "e" format.