[Scilab-users] symbolic functions

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Thu Nov 28 10:29:58 CET 2019

Hello Federico,

Le 19/11/2019 à 08:01, Federico Miyara a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I've found in a tutorial
> (http://ryanrossi.com/teaching/search/papers/scilabguide.pdf)
> reference to some symbolic functions such as addf or trianfml, and
> even official Scilab help pages seemingly for an earlier version
> (https://help.scilab.org/docs/5.5.2/en_US/trianfml.html), but they
> have been removed from version 6. Any idea why?

Good question. I do not remember any public discussion about their
removal, just the 6.0.0 release notes announcing it.
Probably this small module was considered as too basic, and so useless,
compared to features provided by Maxima or other symbolic softwares.
I would have agreed about its removal if the jewelish scimax Scilab
module <http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/scimax/> would have been
packaged for Windows as well, and published on ATOMS for Scilab 6. But
it is not currently the case.

The former symbolic module presented all its functions at the same
level. In my opinion, only solve(), trianfml() and trisolve() were
really useful, whereas the other addf(), subf(), mulf(), rdivf(),
ldivf() and cmb_lin() were rather internals.

This small module could be easily repackaged to highlight solve,
trianfml and trisolve, recompiled for Scilab 6, and pushed on ATOMS, at
almost no cost. IMO, its interest goes a bit beyond only educational usages.

Regards
Samuel