[Scilab-users] Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Thu Nov 28 10:51:01 CET 2019

Hello,

I have prepared a small Applescript application  enabling the current
JDK to run Scilab on OSX Catalina at the url

http://www.utc.fr/˜mottelet/java/enableJDK.dmg

This application automates the fix we already discussed in this ML. If I
summarize the necessary steps to run Scilab under Catalina, you have to:

1-download and install a JDK (not a JRE), e.g.
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
(more recent versions should also work, tests are welcome...)

2-download and run the enableJDK script (you will have to allow its
execution in system preferencences)

The fix provided by enableJDK is neither specific to Scilab nor specific
to OSX Catalina. It will allow any application using Java thru JNI to
run with your current JDK, without having to use the Apple
legacy/obsolete Java 6 (https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572).

Enjoy !

--
Stéphane Mottelet