[Scilab-users] cotg and acot

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Tue Oct 1 16:06:36 CEST 2019

Dear Masahiro,

I accept that in some cases it might be not convenient to follow a rule,
but I think the cotangent is not the case because of 1) a long tradition
acknowledged in an international standard, 2) consistency, 3)
aesthetics, 4) ease of pronounciation, 5) virtual impossibility of
confusion (indeed, try a web search of "definition of cot in math" (*)).
The other meanings of cot have nothing to do with math.

Regards,

Federio Miyara

(*) After three and a half pages of links where cot is the cotangent
symbol, I've found this page:
http://www.memidex.com/ctn+trigonometric-function, where the most
serious source, the Collins dictionary, accepts also cotan and ctn as
abbreviations