[Scilab-users] Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

Chin Luh Tan chinluh.tan at bytecode-asia.com
Wed Oct 30 13:56:09 CET 2019

Hi  Samuel,

I agreed that porting the portaudio might not be priority as from what i understand,  it is quite hard to make it non blocking recording.

Infact we just made a module base on java for non blocking recording,  and it was planned to released in a week or 2.

There are more room to improve,  perhap your team could use it as fundamental and improved it to a better module?

Thanks

Regards.
Chin Luh

---- On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 20:18:52 +0800 sgougeon at free.fr wrote ----

Hello Antoine,

Le 30/10/2019 à 10:14, Antoine Monmayrant a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> For a small demo project, I am trying to show both the temporal signal and the spectrum of the sound recorded by the microphone of my laptop.
> I managed to hack together a proof of principle that relies on the linux command "arecord" and uses "unix_g" scilab function.
> I would be happy to go for a more portable way of recording the sound from scilab.
> I know there is a java api for sound: As anyone here ever worked with it or tried to call it from scilab?
>
> I've never tried to call a java api from within scilab.
> If you have any ressource and/or tutorial on the sound java api or on calling a java api from scilab, it would be of great help.

FYI : i am currently supervising a students project about this, for the
whole academic year.
I submitted this project planning to enhance and extend Scilab sound
capabilities, and it
was actually assigned to a group of 5 students in School of engineering.

Implementing a sound recorder through the standard microphone is one of
the addressed topics.
It is set as a priority for the mid-term evaluation of the project, in
january.
The priority is also to get a fully portable solution, and without C/C++
code and compilation
using any Scilab API, that would require to be reviewed and recompiled
for each new Scilab 6.x release.
We know how this makes external modules quickly obsolete and unusable.
On this aspect, porting the portaudio and sndfile modules to Scilab 6
has been considered.
But after being assessed, it looks too hard to do. BTW, it would not
remedy to the need to
recompile. So, it is not a priority of the project.

Using Java in open source projects requires more care today than one
year ago, due to
major changes in Oracle Licenses policy since early 2019. But java is
still a first way to be
explored, indeed.
Scilab help pages of JIMS have nice examples to start using the JVM from
Scilab:
https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.2/en_US/section_158670c44b251b5b028c4e3178ff4ed0.html

Regards
Samuel