[Scilab-users] Analytic models for empirical 3D data

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Tue Sep 24 02:50:58 CEST 2019

Dear all,

This is a tough one, and I'm aware it may not be directly related to
Scilab, so sorry if it is off-topic. I post it anyway because it could
lead in a future to a toolbox.

I'm looking for general methods for obtaining analytic models for
empirical data such as a variable which depends on two independent
variables (i.e., a double entry table). The aim isn't just to
interpolate but to find a sort of analytical law that approximates the
data. This has two steps:

1) Finding an analytic function, of two independent variables with as
few parameters as possible that can likely approximate the data.

2) Optimizing the parameters for the best approximation to the data

2) Is relatively easy by least-squares or other optimization techniques.
It is 1) the difficult part.

Any help as to literature or known mehods will be welcome

Federico Miyara

---