[Scilab-users] Deletion of console content

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Wed Sep 25 17:43:11 CEST 2019

Jens,

I'm not quite an expert, but I can tell that by default the historic
content of the console is saved somewhere and can be accessed in a small
dockable window generally located at the right bottom corner of the
screen, named Command History. It can also be deleted by first clicking
on this window to make Scilab focus on it, then opening the Edit menu
and clearing history or, I presume, deleting (I don't want to test that
because sometimes I use it and don't want to lose it just to experiment
:) ). It is possible to disable it from the Edit menu for the console,
preferences, Command History. In that dialog you can also decide where
the History file will be saved and the maximum number of lines to be
saved. You could also use a secure deleting tool on that file.

Regarding the previous versions of a script, I'm not quite sure. If your
aim is to recover a version you have accidentally overwritten, I'm
afraid it may be difficult since there is no guarantee that the new
version is saved in a different cluster in the disk. If, on the
contrary, the aim is to prevent other users of the same computer to spy
on your work, there is no guarantee either that parts of the script do
not remain undeleted. One possibility would be to save your work to a
memory stick, I don't think a local copy is preserved since at most the
script is loaded into volatile RAM which is deleted when you shut your
system down.

Regards,

Federico Miyara