[Scilab-users] Troubleshooting Scilab 6.1-branch installation on Mac Big Sur

jvulpillieres jvulpillieres at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 19:20:06 CET 2020

Hello,

I downloaded and installed Scilab-branch-6.1 on MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1 from
https://www.utc.fr/~mottelet/scilab_for_macOS.html
Install process and Apple checking went smoothly. As mentioned, the needed
Java Runtime Edition should be downloaded the first time I open Scilab.

But the only thing I get when opening Scilab for the 1st time is a Mac OS
error message:
/« warning: failed to load external entity "/Library/Internet"
warning: failed to load external entity
"Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/../Info.plist" (1) » /
and Scilab doesn't launch further.

I downloaded and installed a recent version of JRE but it doesn’t help.
/julien at Julien-MacBookPro MacOS % /usr/libexec/java_home -V
Matching Java Virtual Machines (1):
    1.8.271.09 (x86_64) "Oracle Corporation" - "Java" /Library/Internet
Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/

I will be grateful for any help,

Julien de Vulpillières
IT teacher