[Scilab-users] New constant %chars to get sets of symbols

Antoine Monmayrant antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr
Thu Dec 31 10:36:31 CET 2020

On 29/12/2020 16:39, Samuel Gougeon wrote:
> As well, i must confess that having a ALT+X or any other keys shortcut
> able to convert a series of 2 to 4 input unicodes to the corresponding
> character -- as proposed in wish #16505 -- would be of almost no help
> to me, because i do not remember unicodes of any non-ascii characters.
> Who does? Such a ALT-X shortcut is used for instance in the -- yet
> great -- /Inskscape/ free drawing software. Then, each time that a
> greek letter or another symbol must be used, we need to find its
> unicodes in an extra document (most often on internet). It's
> definitely not handy.
I agree with you here.
It is not a good idea to use such a shortcut that replicates what is
already present at the OS level: on linux for example Crtl+Alt+Maj+u
allows to type the unicode of a character (like 3BB for λ). Equivalent
shortcuts exist under Windows and MacOS.

 From my personal experience, my preferred implementation is the one
used by Julia: type the LaTeX macro (like \lambda for λ) then Tab and
you get the unicode character.
I assume implementation something like that in Scilab is quite a lot of
work...

Your proposition might be a good compromise between ease of
implementation and usefulness.

Cheers,

Antoine