[Scilab-users] New constant %chars to get sets of symbols

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Thu Dec 31 15:43:07 CET 2020

Le 31/12/2020 à 15:27, Antoine Monmayrant a écrit :
> .../...
>>
>> I am not sure that implementing the Julia solution with LaTeX would
>> improve a lot the situation:
>>
>>   * first, we still have to remember a code, the latex one ; this is
>>     simple for common characters, but get harder and harder for less
>>     frequent ones. While a selection among displayed/rendered
>>     characters do not need to remember any code. I have written 700
>>     pages in LaTeX without wysiwym software like LyX, and hopefully i
>>     had always a hand on "A Guide to LaTeX-2e"  and its tables of
>>     illustrated codes to get the right one.
>>   * Moreover, we can put in %chars some characters that have no LaTeX
>>     code.
>>   * Finally, implementing a LaTeX shortcut could not be used when
>>     editing the documentation out of the console and Scinotes, except
>>     to render the character in order to then, anyway, copy/paste it
>>     wherever needed.
>>
>> So, to me, the main purposes are
>>
>>   * to stop having to remember any code for the -- say 500 or 1000 --
>>     most used characters, when no complex expression is required.
>>
> Well, I don't see how this should work then.
> How do I select λ in your proposed solution? Should I have to visually
> scan a 500-symbol long list?
> I think I missed something in your proposal.

We enter and display
--> %chars   // (OK not here. See the proposed documentation for the
full display)

or for a chosen class

--> %chars.greek
  ans  =
   lower = "αβδεϵζηθικλμνξοπρστυφϕχψωάϐέήϑίϊϰόϱςύϋΰϖώ"
   upper = "ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘϴΙΪΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΫΦΧΨΩ KΩ℧"

Then we select λ, and copy/paste it where needed.

>>   * to stop having to search in an external document when working
>>     with Scilab
>>   * and possibly, to present classes of characters, what can help
>>     finding the required one.
>>
>> Beyong this current topic and the trivial implementation of %chars,
>> it could then even be useful to have an easy way to get the LaTeX
>> code from a selected character, instead of the opposite!
>>
> Well, here is my assumption (that might be wrong): most of the people
> trying to use λ or ∆ might be aware that they are called lambda and
> Delta and from there, the LaTeX naming convention is usually quite
> sensible: \lambda, \Delta.

Yes, these are the frequent easy characters to remember.

> I think there is quite a difference between remembering
> Ctrl+Maj+Alt+u+03BB and remembering \lambda+Tab to get λ!
> For me, the second solution is way more user friendly... :-)

For sure, but, still, i won't remember \Diamond (why with a capital?),
\diamondsuit (all in lowercases), \vdash, etc etc codes without _/first/
sawing_ them rendered.