[Scilab-users] undocumented behavior of sum(), prod() and type()

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Sun Feb 9 04:27:29 CET 2020

Dear all,

I note that sum([]) yields 0 instead of []. This is somewhat
contradictory with the documented behavior that [] + n yields []
regardless of the type of n

I allso find that prod([]) yields 1. This is even stranger. The common
feature is that both are the respective neutral element of the operations.

Interestingly, cumsum and cumprod applied to [] yield the expected
result, []

Besides, type([]) is 1 (constant). Somehow it is asuming an empty matrix
is by default a container for constants, even in csses such as the
following:

a = %s
b = a(1:$-1)

where b is an empty sub-vector of a polynomial vector.

None of these behaviors seem to be documented. If intentional, they
should be documented.

Regards,

Federico Miyara