[Scilab-users] Line integrals

arctica1963 arctica1963 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 10:35:08 CET 2020

Hello all,

I am interested in doing line integrals on f(x,y) and f(x,y,z) for scalar
and vector calculations.

It is not an issue to do mathematically, but not so clear in Scilab how
variable substitution should work in this process. As I understand it, one
has to take the function and convert it to a parametric form in x,y,(z) in
order to reduce the integrand to a single variable (e.g. t) that can be
integrated simply.

Now, clearly it is not a problem to do the substitutions by hand and then
run the Scilab function (Integrate), but nice to simplify the procedure.

For the integral over a path (C) of f(x,y) ds, x and y have to be parametric
e.g. x(t) and y(t),
where ds = sqrt( (dx(t)/dt)^2 + (dy(t)/dt)^2 ) dt

Is there a simple route to solve line integrals in Scilab or building a
function to do this?
e.g. LineIntegral(expr,x(t),y(t),t,a,b), where x(t) and y(t) are the
parametric forms.

A very simple problem:

f(x,y) = 2*x with x(t)=t/2 and y(t)=t^2 for t=0 to 6
Substitution for x and y and solving the integral over t should result in
144.36 approx.

Any pointers would be useful. Could not see any reference in the mailing
list or help on this.

Thanks
Lester