[Scilab-users]   correctly applying A-weighting onto sound (dB-to-dBA)

Chin Luh Tan chinluh.tan at bytecode-asia.com
Wed Jan 8 00:41:51 CET 2020

Your current audio is frequency modulated signal, and applying weighting similar to amplitude modulation.

Theoretically  you could try having a same size vector with your current file, and fill it with the weighting value according to your scaling you want,  and just multiply them, y = a.*b where a is the weighting array, b is ur current audio.

Beware of saturation, and also the fact that man and woman might hear different frequencies differently. 😄

Thx

CL

---- On Wed, 08 Jan 2020 03:41:29 +0800 p.muehlmann at gmail.com wrote ----

Dear All,

for a simulation temperatures shall be converted into a sound.

E.g.: Each temperature value represents a frequency.

Low temperatures = low frequency

High temperature = high frequency.

For creating the sound I use following approach:

  - create empty array, that will represent the final sound file

  - insert at the correct position(s) the corresponding frequencies (that represent a dedicated temp-value)

 - save the - now completely filled - array using: savewave()

 I assume, that all frequencies are saved with the same amplitude.

Since different frequencies are recognized differently by the human ear, some frequencies will appear louder than others.

To take care of this, I would like to apply the A-weighting curve onto the sound.

How could this be done in Scilab?

Thank you,

Philipp