[Scilab-users] FEA in Scilab

Claus Futtrup cfuttrup at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 11:25:46 CET 2020

Dear fellow Scilabers

There are various initiatives and possibly demonstration projects for
implementing Finite Element algorithms and Analysis in Scilab. Please help
me by providing pointers.

What I'd like to simulate is the suspension of a loudspeaker (the cloth
spider which essentially centers the voice coil in the air gap), in
particular I wish to calculate a force-deflection curve.

In my particular case, I'd like to describe the spider as a collection of
line segments (straight lines as well as circular sections). This
description represents a cross section view of the spider. For proper
modeling, this is an axisymmetric model of the spider.

I have a simple description of what I'd like to do in Scilab, but done in a
software named Mecway. The PDF is 650 kb (4 pages). I am worried about
attaching such a document to the User Group here in general, but I can of
course send it on request. In Mecway the axisymmetric model is expanded
into 3D with hex8 elements (it looks like a basic cubic element). The
force-function is applied in 40 time steps. It looks like 40 x basic static
analysis.

Please let me know what you think would be suitable for solving this
problem. Is there a suitable ATOMS library?

Best regards,
Claus