[Scilab-users] Which module to use for hassle-free image processing with scilab ?

Clément David Clement.David at esi-group.com
Mon Mar 9 10:52:20 CET 2020

Hello Antoine,

> - scicv: installs without any issue and as reported by Samuel (
> http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/scicv/issues/1944/
> http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/scicv/issues/1946/ ), overwrites 'write' and
> 'read' which breaks many native functions in scilab together with other useful
> modules (ie uman). This is a blocking issue that has not been fixed in the past 6
> months. Moreover, many opencv functions are not available and it is not clear
> how to access them.

About sciCV, the idea was to use SWIG [1] and OpenCV [2] as an easy to use (and simple to develop) toolbox for manipulating images and videos using Scilab scripts. Here we don't have Scilab scripts at all, just a bunch of SWIG rules to generate the Scilab C gateways from the OpenCV C API. We have a focus on keeping the data in the OpenCV world and "accessing" them from Scilab.

The two reported bugs have been fixed in 0.5 (sorry I did not close them) and the latest 0.6 version is built for Scilab 6.1.0 after a customer request.

Note: the code is not open-source but SWIG for Scilab and OpenCV are!

--
Clément