[Scilab-users] ?= Which module to use for hassle-free image processing with scilab

Chin Luh Tan chinluh.tan at bytecode-asia.com
Mon Mar 9 17:24:12 CET 2020

tHi,

Just a little bit correction, the module currently I am working on is IPCV, not SIVP.

I overlooked the scicv in comparison previously as I was "intoxicated" in telling history of the modules related to IPCV.

In fact I was trying to work on scicv as well, as it is almost a complete set to link to the opencv library. As mentioned by Clement, the link to the opencv is generated by SWIG, and since it is automatic, there could be a lot of crashed in name.

On top of that, the syntax of the function are very similar to python, so it makes sense to for those switching from python to Scilab.

As it is just too much datatype in OpenCV, it is almost impossible to map each of everyone to Scilab. Hence, then only way is to leave the output of a function to be in "OpenCV space" and computation goes on until the final result which is then convert back to Scilab for the result.

For example, look at this tutorial : https://www.scilab.org/tutorials/computer-vision-%E2%80%93-structural-analysis

somewhere in the middle of the codes we have:

cont = contours(maxI);

hull = convexHull(cont);

hulld = double(hull(:));

this cont, hull are not Scilab variable, but cont required as the input for the convexHull function. If we convert it to Scilab var, then it will need to convert back to the opencv var to be accepted in the next function. hulld is the last result to convert to double.

About the opensource, from technical point of view, if I understand correctly, the whole module is generated by SWIG, and having the source is just... useless? or at least, once u have modified the source to fix some bugs, wait...this is provided the generated codes are readable. And once you modified it, the whole thing need to be maintained manually from that point onward? Else when the dev move to new version of OpenCV, the whole source will be refreshed again... (I could be wrong).

Let's switch to the coding style:

Let's compare if one need to implement function Hough transform:

in opencv, you can find the example of python, then follow the similar flow  to get to the end result.

https://docs.opencv.org/4.1.2/d9/db0/tutorial_hough_lines.html

in IPCV, you can find the example in C/C++, then create a new gateway file under IPCV gateway folder, and add some lines in the source code from the example.

#include "Whatever"

int main(int argc, char** argv)

{

    // Declare the output variables

    GetImage()

    Mat dst, cdst, cdstP;

    HoughLines(dst, lines, 1, CV_PI/180, 150, 0, 0 ); // runs the actual detection

    SetImage()

    return 0;

}

The "GetImage" and "SetImage" is just an example of sending and passing the images/date to the gateway for computation, so this will create a function like:

out= imhough(S,m,n) ...

Which to choose is a preference of choice, at least, for me.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chin Luh

---- On Mon, 09 Mar 2020 22:44:15 +0800 Antoine Monmayrant <amonmayr at laas.fr> wrote ----

Hello Clément,

Thanks for your answer.

I think it clarifies the situation somehow.

I still don't get your point of not open-sourcing it and maintaining it "for free".

I think it's the other way round: if you open-source it, it might happen that some members of the community contribute to extend it and maintain it "for free".

>From the info you gave me, scicv should be avoided by any one not being that particular client of your group.

Moreover, scicv is adding noise and confusion to the atoms library.

Antoine