[Scilab-users] ?==?utf-8?q? xtitle hides figure cintent

Antoine Monmayrant amonmayr at laas.fr
Tue Mar 17 03:37:30 CET 2020

Hello Jens,

I'm sorry, I cannot try your code on scilab-5.5.2 : I just downloaded and installed it but it segfaults whenever using graphics (ie only scilab-cli works).
BTW, should I report this or development/bug fixes are over on 5.5.2?

If I remember correctly, updating graphics content and properties in a loop was a bit of a problem with 5.5.2 with some race conditions.
Results depended on the timing and for example something that worked OK when selecting + Ctrl+E in the editor was not behaving the same when using F5!
In particular, I had different results when outputting to a file (ie png driver or equivalent) or to an interactive plot.

Here are a couple of thinks to try that I had to resort to with 5.5.2:
- try to run your code by using selection + Ctrl+E, maybe by running small chunks at a time. If you get the intended results, it confirms you are facing a race condition.
- try different syntaxes that should be equivalent like fig.children.x_label.text='foo' instead of xtitle('foo') or fig.visible='on' instead of  set(fig,'visible','on').
- add some pauses, ie sleep(10) between some of the graphics changes.
- try again: like repeat the set(fig,'visible','on');  twice.

Hope it helps, let us know whether it works or not.

Cheers,

Antoine