[Scilab-users] Scilab 6.1 too slow to list large vectors

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Wed May 20 16:49:44 CEST 2020

Le 30/03/2020 à 11:56, Federico Miyara a écrit :

> Dear All,
>
> I have observed that Scilab 6.1 seems to have a regression respect to
> 6.0.2. Sometimes one forgets to put semicolon after the coputation of
> a vector with tens of thousands components. Scilab 6.0.2 listed all
> the components very fast. That was nice because one hadn't to cancel
> the computation, it took about 1 s. With 6.1 it takes much longer. For
> instance
>
> Fs  =  44100
> T  =  2.5
> t  =  [0:T*Fs]/Fs;
> ximp  =  exp(-t/0.3).*rand(t,"normal")  +  0.004*rand(t,"normal");
>
> tic
> ximp  =  ximp(:)
> toc
> This takes 1.36 s in 6.0.2
>
> The same code in 6.1 takes 182 s
>
> Any idea why?
>
> I know I can cancel at any moment the script execution, but if there
> were a process that took a lot of time one wouldn't be willing to stop
> it...

Apparently, the maximum number N of lines of the console scroll buffer
set in the user preferences (by default to 3000) is not taken into
account to abstract the display in this kind of situation. Is it?

Yet, if there is no opened diary, displaying 100000 "primary" rows looks
97% useless if the scroll buffer is 3000-row tall: 97000 rows will
anyway become unreachable an lost, after the full display.

So, even without anticipating wrapping of long primary rows, that still
multiplies the number of actual rows to display, wouldn't it be wise to
limit the display to N primary lines, either the N last ones, or the N/2
first ones + "..." + the N/2 last ones ?

Even in the case of having so tall full diaries is required (that is a
very specific and exceptional case), it is always possible to increase N
through the preferences.

My two cents...

Samuel