[Scilab-users] Improving atomsInstall()

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Sat Apr 10 11:17:53 CEST 2021

Dear all,

When we install an external ATOMS toolbox, the installation does /not/
load it. Then the toolbox is not readily usable. The loading is an extra
operation to do afterward.
The installation and removal should be improved in the next scilab
version: now the Toolboxes menu will be updated, without restarting Scilab.

What about going further? Don't we expect the just installed toolbox to
be right away usable -- that is to say, already loaded at the end?
If so, IMHO there are 2 situations:

  * either the toolbox was not already installed, for no version of it.
    Then its installation could end with automatically loading it.
  * or another version of the toolbox is already installed. The new
    installation is about another concurrent version. Then the new
    installation could end with a warning message telling that it is not
    loaded because of the other version.

Another improvement would be to be able to provide a "noautoloading"
option to atomsInstall().

What's your own feeling and usage about atomsInstall()?

Regards
Samuel