[Scilab-users] Why window() provides only symmetric weighting?

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Mon Apr 12 23:17:01 CEST 2021

There are several software packages, not only Matlab, that call this
concept "periodic", for instance Octave, Scipy (from Python), DADiSP.
Regarding the last one, I've found an interesting reference:

https://www.dadisp.com/webhelp/mergedProjects/refman2/FncrefFK/FLATTOP.htm

Here, along with a description of the function, it mentions that
"periodic" can also be called "iso" since there is ISO Standard 18431-1
dealing with vibrations (Mechanical vibration and shock — Signal
processing Part 1: General introduction), which seemingly makes some
related normative prescriptions. Unfortunately the standard is too
expensive for me to even attempt to buy it, but perhaps some member of
this list has university access to these Standards.

I'm pretty sure that the ISO doesn't suggest that the name of this type
of window is "iso", but I'm in doubt whether they call it "periodic" or
they just introduce the recommended formula or algorithm.

Anyway, "iso" would be even more obscure than "periodic", if only
because there are literally thousands of ISO standards and most users
probably don't even suspect there is one covering this.

Regards,

Federico Miyara