[Scilab-users] Getting the variable name used for a function input argument

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Mon Dec 6 18:33:04 CET 2021

Hello Jens,

Le 06/12/2021 à 10:40, Jens Simon Strom a écrit :
> Hi Samuel,
> Your solution is quite sophisticated.

On the opposite, it aims to be simpler.

> To me it was confusing to call a function without the input being
> bracketed. And on top of this, that a variable of type /constant/ is
> accepted as a /string/ within the function.

As a cherry on the cake, the syntax will work as well for literal values:

function  printc(name)
     execstr("c = "+name)
     //Drucken einer komplexen Zahl mit Betrag und Winkel/°
   Format  =  strsubst(name,"%","%%")+': %f /_%7.2f°\n'
     mprintf(Format,  abs(c),  180/%pi*atan(imag(c),  real(c)))
endfunction

--> printc 3-4*%i
3-4*%i: 5.000000    /_ -53.13°

> Scilab seems to be more flexible than I would dare to imagine before now.

Handiness is one of the signatures of high level languages.

Samuel