[Scilab-users] Gridding uiframes. subplot and xsetech

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Tue Dec 21 17:09:50 CET 2021

Dear co-Scilabers,

Scilab 5.5 extended newaxes(handle)  to uiframes
(uicontrol("style","frame"..)).
 From there, the extension of subplot() and xsetech() to uiframes is now
implemented and is on review for Scilab 6.1.2.

I use to use subplot() and xsetech() on figures.
I hardly understand the interest of uiframes, with respect to figures.
The only interesting feature i see with uiframes is that they can be
stacked on different tabs in the same figure (*).
Do you use uiframes for other reasons ?

By the way, the layout-grid-gridbag gridding system of uiframes (and
figures) looks (very) complicated to me. Does it aim to "group" several
interactive components?
There are a lot of pages about this in the Scilab documentation... It's
easy to get lost.
While using subplot will still be very simple.

Thanks for any hints or comments about this topic.

Regards
Samuel Gougeon

(*) If we were able to control the docking of figures or other
interfaces with some code (not interactively), we could do the same by
docking figures on each others, selectable with tabs, without uiframes.