[Scilab-users] Some details on the documentation of log(), log10(), etc.

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Sat Feb 20 01:29:05 CET 2021

Dear all,

In an old script where I needed to apply log10 to an hyperarray I had
implemented it as log(A)/log(10) with a comment indicating that in that
version log10() didn't work for hyperarrays (unfortunately I don't
recall what version it was).

In Version 6.1.0 it does work for hyperarrays, but the documentation
still says that it applies to vectors or matrices:

https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.1.0/en_US/log10.html

In some contexts "matrix" may be interpreted as an hyperarray or
hypermatrix (for instance when speaking of N-D matrices), but for Scilab
a matrix is formally a two-dimensional array:

https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.1.0/en_US/matrices.html

I think the documentation should indicate that it applies to vectors,
matrices and hypermatrices

Another problem is regarding log(). It says that the input argument is a
"constant vector or constant matrix":

https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.1.0/en_US/log.html

However, it seems that "constant" has a specific meaning in Scilab as a
predefined variable:

https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.1.0/en_US/section_421ab29126e21a1e1e403ee27a18fda4.html

As it is worded, it seems that log() is applied to predefined variables.
I think it should refer more clearly to the type double (it doesn't
work, for instance, for integer types such as int16(2)).

In the case of log2() the description of arguments is even stranger:

https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.1.0/en_US/log2.html

It confuses the argument section with the description, and it specifies
decimal numbers which isn't a recognized type.

The function exp(), on the other hand, doesn't indicate an output argument.

I think these functions are very similar and their documentation pages
should be consistent with one another

Regards,

Federico Miyara