[Scilab-users] Problems arising from truncation of %pi

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Sat Jan 9 01:32:29 CET 2021

Jean-Yves,

>> sin(x - n*pi)
> So now the problem can be how these large numbers are obtained
> --> a=1e16+1
> --> a-1e16
> of course equals zero.

Yes, I've thought about it and you are right, above 1e16 x is so sparse,
cycle-wise speaking, that my original intention doesn't make much sense.

Besides, at a sample rate of 44100, and a maximum frequency of 22050 Hz,
a phase of 1e16 is reached only  after 2288 years, so it's not a
practical problem!

I must confess, by the way, that because of a stupid interpretation of
some results on my part, I thought an error I was having was due to the
slow departure from strict discrete signal periodicity but it wasn't. Sorry!

Regards,

Federico Miyara