[Scilab-users] Can't get current directory

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Mon Jan 25 09:08:26 CET 2021

Hi,

First of all, can you give the build date of your version of Scilab
([a,b]=getversion()) ? Since the end of december the dmg archive of
Scilab is notarized by Apple and it could change the way that disk
access is granted or not.

Moreover, as indicated in https://www.utc.fr/~mottelet/scilab_for_macOS.html

*Problems with macOS Catalina*

macOS Catalina introduces new security controls. For example, apps are
now required to ask your permission before accessing parts of the drive
where documents and personal files are kept. If Scilab does not show
files in the FileBrowser component, you will have to enable the
command-line interpreter //bin/sh/ (which is run just after you
double-click on Scilab's icon) in the "Privacy" tab in the System
Preferences Control Panel. This small video
<https://www.utc.fr/~mottelet/scilab/scilab_catalina_enable_sh_720.mov>
shows how to find the //bin/ folder by using the keys combination
/Command-Shift-G/ and then drag and drop //bin/sh/ in the list of
authorized applications.

this is not just a matter of full disk access, /bin/sh should also be
authorized. However, settings can also be different if you have disabled
the System Integrity protection.

S.

Le 24/01/2021 à 22:05, Gerard Awanou a écrit :
> I am using the GUI. It starts with the message
>
> Startup execution:
>
> Then, I try to go to a specific directory
>
> cd Desktop
>
> I then got the error message
>
> "/Users/gerardawanou/Desktop"
> Can't get current directory.
>
> I did give Scilab full disc acsess
>
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM Heinz Nabielek <heinznabielek at me.com
> <mailto:heinznabielek at me.com>> wrote:
>
>     Gérard,
>
>     I added SciLab into Security&Privacy/Privacy/Full Disk Access.
>
>     Works fine. But furious about the way the newer Mac OSses make
>     life ever more difficult......
>
>     Does anybody have a better suggestion?
>     Heinz
>

>     > On 24.01.2021, at 21:03, Gerard Awanou <awanou at uic.edu
>     <mailto:awanou at uic.edu>> wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi
>     >
>     > I am running Scilab 6.1 on mac OS Catalina and I am getting the
>     annoying message
>     > "Can't get current directory".
>     >
>     > How do I fix this?