[Scilab-users] indexing array of rationals

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Thu Jul 22 23:55:36 CEST 2021

Stéphane,

You may try, if k is the index,

pi(2)(k)/pi(3)(k)

This is because a rational is a list and the first element is a vector
of strings describing the structure, not a component of the matrix of
rationals.

Indeed I think there is not such a thing as a matrix of rationals, but a
rational (so, itself a list) whose components 2 and 3 are matrices of
polynomials; respectively, numerator and denominator polynomials.

When one tries to create a matrix of lists (general lists, not
rationals) it yields an error:

a = list( 1, "a", %s);
b = list( 2, "b", %z);
c = [a,b]

The error message is

Undefined operation for the given operands.
check or define function %l_c_l for overloading.

When the lists are specifically rtationals, the command works fine, for
instance

but it is not a matrix of rationals but a rational whose numerator and
denominator fields are matrices of polynomials

Regards,

Federico Miyara