[Scilab-users] Why modified help file are not updated on the help window witout Scilab exit and restart

Jean-Yves Baudais Jean-Yves.Baudais at insa-rennes.fr
Wed May 19 10:18:48 CEST 2021

Hello,

The problem is: I don't want to restart Scilab each time I modify one
help file, to take it into account. Now the details.

   When I modify the help file, let say "myfunction.xml" in "mylibrary"
toolbox, I do (current directory is the toolbox root directory)

fist I close the help window if it is opened, and

 > exec unloader.sce;
 > exec cleaner.sce;
 > exec builder.sce;
 > exec loader.sce;
 > help myfunction

But, the modification is not updated in the help window. I should exit
and restart Scilab to see the modification. Am I doing something wrong?

In short (only for the help part),
1) unloader does
 > del_help_chapter("mylibrary", %F);
and it works, "mylibrary" is removed from the help;

2) clearner does
 > rmdir(root_tlbx + "/jar/", "s");
and it works, the ./jar/scilab_fr_FR_help.jar file is deleted;

3) builder does
 > tbx_builder_help(toolbox_dir);
that is
 > xmltojar(path, moduletitle, directory_language, default_language);
and it works, the ./jar/scilab_fr_FR_help.jar is created and all the
./help/fr_FR/scilab_fr_FR_help/* files are created (updated here). If I
open the file ./help/fr_FR/scilab_fr_FR_help/myfunction.html I see the
modification.

But I can see the modification with
 > help myfunction
unless I quite Scilab

It looks like the first call of the help upload the help documentation
in memory (and create %helps global variable), and if the files of the
documentation are removed from help, modified and re-added, the next
call of the help function consider only what has been uploaded first and
don't read the modified jar nor html files!

Is Scilab operate like that? If yes, it's a bug. If not why
 > help myfunction
is not updated while all the files are!

Thanks for your insight,

--Jean-Yves