[Scilab-users] turn scilab theme into dark

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Thu Nov 18 11:31:48 CET 2021

Hi David,

Sorry for being rude but who in the (zombie) Scilab community would have
some time to develop such fancy stuff, when so many basic things such as
a decent html redering of help pages is missing ? BTW you ask for a dark
mode but Scilab is slowly but irremediably sliding to darkness...

I was recently interviewed by students of a french engineering school
(not mine) on my feeling about the past, present and future of Scilab,
and one of the points I mentioned is the death of the aforementioned
community. First by its size then by its age distribution and finally by
its lack of investment in the development of Scilab itself. The only
newcomming users I have met this year on StackOverflow are students who
were told to do some homework by their math teacher. None of the
brilliant students I meet each year in my course (which uses Scilab) are
interested in developping Scilab. Recently one of them was hired as a
research engineer at Inria to work in the Scikit-learn consortium hence
Python stuff !

When I read such (legitimate) demands as the one formulated by David, I
am not sure that actual Scilab users are aware of the situation. One the
one hand ESI hosts the rest of the Scilab team, which has its own
business plan and spends its time on developments  which are not
available to the community (e.g. the Scilab Cloud), and on the other
hand some (dumb ?) guys which still spend (waste ?) their time to fix
what they can fix or consider to be fixed. I have to say that the Scilab
team does help us when we ask some help, but the initiative to fix this
or that must come from us.

As far as I am concerned I consider that working on solvers (nonlinear
equations, differential equations, optimization, ...) is a priority of
higher level than gui stuff. I met so many people trying (and failing)
to solve real/big problems with Scilab that I could not just give up and
tell them to use Matlab. That's why I rewrote from scratch sci-ipopt in
order to allow Scilab to solve efficiently nonlinear optimization
problems. That's why I am currently interfacing the SUNDIALS ode/dae
solvers (which are already used in XCos). The Kinsol equation solver
(also from SUNDIALS) could also be interfaced, in order to provide an
alternative to the very poor lsqrsolve (missing features like positivity
constraints and sparse jacobian). However, when I write help pages I
realize the very poor rendering of them in Scilab help browser (this is
due to the very poor css support of actual (Swing) html viewer). I have
some helpfull hints for the (unconscious) person who would want to spend
some time on this issue, provided that she/he knows Java.

If you think you can contribute to the debate just express yourself.

S.

Le 18/11/2021 à 09:20, CHEZE David 227480 a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I‘m wondering if anyone already looked for developing a “dark mode”
> for Scilab look and feel, following dark mode or dark theme selected
> in the OS. If not linked automatically to the OS theme, then it might
> be custom colour and code colorization configuration in this
> perspective that could be shared ?
>
> Thank you for any hint,
>
> David

Stéphane Mottelet