[Scilab-users] Getting the variable name used for a function input argument

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Wed Nov 24 09:51:07 CET 2021

Hi,

Le 24/11/2021 à 01:42, Federico Miyara a écrit :

> I'm not completely sure, but I think this is not possible since what
> is passed to the function isn't a variable but the value contained in
> the variable.
No. Internally, input arguments are passed as references to the true
object. There is no copy unless an input argument is modified in the
function (in that case a copy with local scope only).
> The name is lost in the process.
Yes, before the first line of the function body the original object has
the name of the argument, although both names refer to the same object.

> An alternative way (but I don't know if this would be acceptable for
> you) is that the function had as its argument a variable name (hence,
> a string), so your x would be "xNum", instead of 123. Then you could
> use evstr() to get the value of the variable to proceed with the
> processing.

I think that we are in the presence of an XY problem
(https://xyproblem.info/) and that Jens should explain the whole story.

S.

> Regards,
>
> Federico Miyara
>

> On 23/11/2021 17:18, Jens Simon Strom wrote:
>>
>> Hi Scilab friends,
>> Given a numeric variable like xNum as an input argument of a function
>> call, how can I produce the variable name string "xNum" within the
>> function?
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> function [name,y]=foo(x)
>>    name=???
>>    y=x^2
>> endfunction
>>
>> xNum=123.
>> [name,y]=foo(xNum)
>> The result for name should be the string "xNum"
>>
>> Regards
>> Jens

> 	Libre de virus. www.avast.com

Stéphane Mottelet