[Scilab-users] Combinatorics

Mikhail Urusov murusov at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:59:09 CEST 2022

Dear Claus,

Just in case you have not got an answer yet:

> I can 'invent' a calculation, which could be : =10*9*8/(3*2*1) = 120 ...
if this indeed shows the internal workings, I'd like to know why. Sorry my
combinatorics is so bad ... I

This is right. In general, the formula for the number of k-combinations of
n elements is
n! / ( k! (n-k)! ).
Alternatively, you can write this as
n*(n-1)*....*(n-k+1) / (k!).
(This is the way you have written it above for n = 10 and k = 3.)
The explanation in general is quite similar to this case:

> Two buttons pushed. There's 10 * 9 / 2 = 45 combinations. Each button can
only be pushed once, so once you've selected the first button, there's only
9 left, but also we divide by two because the combination are doubled, I
mean for example the combination 1-2 = 2-1 ... the lock doesn't know the
difference. If you spread out the possibilities in a 2D plane, it's like
ignoring the diagonal (like pushing the same button twice) and also we
either ignore the upper or lower triangle. Makes sense?
For example, for n=10 and k=4:
If you consider "arrangements", i.e., the combinations, where the order
matters (e.g., 1-2-5-7 and 2-7-5-1 are different), then you have 10*9*8*7
such arrangements (for the first button you have 10 variants, for the
second one 9 variants, etc), but each "combination" (that is, where the
order does not matter) is counted 4! (=1*2*3*4) times (number of
permutations of 4 elements), so you need to divide: (10*9*8*7)/(4!).
For more information, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination

Best regards,
Mikhail

Am Do., 14. Apr. 2022 um 13:51 Uhr schrieb Claus Futtrup <cfuttrup at gmail.com