[Scilab-users] Cannot start Scilab 6.1.1

Stefan Du Rietz sdr at durietz.se
Tue Mar 29 15:32:00 CEST 2022

Hello all,
I am trying to get Scilab 6.1.1 running in a new Computer (Xubuntu Linux
20-04, nVidia T-600 with proprietary driver) from
scilab-6.1.1.bin.linux-x86_64.tar.gz in the same way as in another
computer with the same OS but with Java 8,

But when I try to start from the terminal:

stefan at LenovoTS:/usr/local/scilab/scilab-6.1.1$ ./bin/scilab &
[1] 261325
stefan at LenovoTS:/usr/local/scilab/scilab-6.1.1$ X Error of failed
request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
   Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
   Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
   Value in failed request:  0x0
   Serial number of failed request:  110
scilab-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot

I have uninstalled Java 11 and installed Java 8 to no avail.

If I install Scilab from Ubuntu repositories with

   $ sudo apt install scilab

I get a working version 6.1.0 (including graphics!), except for
Preferences in both command window and Scinotes! So I can't change font
in either of them.

Can anybody help?

Regards
Stefan