[Scilab-users] (no subject)

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Tue Jan 10 18:05:26 CET 2023

My knowledge of Matlab is freezed as of 2017, when I abandoned Matlab
and embraced Scilab, so might be some of my comments are outdated

It is free, open source software

No licenses that eventually expire

Strings are better handled. In Matlab you can check for equality only if
their lengths are the same since they are just vectors of codes. In
Scilab a string is a true type for supporting many operations in a more
intuitive way.

Variable names support extended characters

You can extract components from the result of any function: y = fft(x)(1:5)

The same applies to any field of structure

It is mostly compatible with Matlab and you can automatically convert
Matlab scripts to Scilab scripts, which allows to reuse Matlab code (it
is not perfect and manual correction is needed)

Insanely powerful control of graphics.

Impressive community to help with any doubts.

Regards,

Federico Miyara