Scipad debugger

Vincent COUVERT vincent.couvert at scilab.org
Fri Aug 29 10:42:19 CEST 2008

Hi François,

fvogelnew1 at free.fr a écrit :
> Vincent,
>
> I cannot say I'm happy with what you are writing underneath but thank you anyway
> for informing us.
>
> I guess it is useless to moan or to hunt for the guilty party. Therefore, I will
> make no comment about how or why the situation was messed up that much. Anyway
> you certainly already know how upset I am about all this.
>

> Looking forward, let's be pragmatic:
>
> 1. Deactivation of Scipad's debugger
>
> I will unplug the debugger from Scipad in trunk. Please let me do it and don't
> do it yourself.
>
> What is the last date for commit in trunk before Scilab 5?

No problem for me to let you do this work.
The last date for commit in TRUNK before Scilab 5 is next Monday (1st
September) at 12am.

> 2. Reentrancy of Tcl instructions (Observation #1 in the wiki page)
>
> In your post scriptum below, are you saying that reentrancy is now fully
> working?
> I have seen some work around this but the commit log was about a "try".
>
> Also, could your team please answer about observations #2 and #3 in this same
> page?

We are going to update this page and explain what work and what does not
work.
A diagram explaining how the TCL thread works is currently written.
> 3. Scipad event loop
>
> I think I understand what your description of the problem.
>
> With respect to the solution of this problem we are facing, you seem to have a
> precise idea of what should be done but you do not elaborate very much, please
> explain. What should we do in order to make the debugger work again?

For the moment we have to technical solution to have a working debugger,
we have to identify precisely the problem and then see how to fix it
without breaking Scilab parsing loop.
> Please discuss with externals this time when you will want to fix this. Learn
> from experience. I note you are writing "together" below, which is a good sign.
> Also, this discussion shall be public.

The modifications to do in "Scilab debugging system" could be the object
of a new SEP.
> Last point, what Scilab version do you target for making the Scilab loop work
> again?

For the moment, no idea of the version where debugging actions will be
available again. It will depend on the amount of work needed to make it
work.

> Let's hope future will allow for better work with your team. I have not yet
> stepped out but nausea experiences are sadly accumulating.
>
> Francois

Vincent

Email : vincent.couvert at inria.fr
Tél : +33 (0)1 39 63 54 46